HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kris
Curva Nord
Curva Nord


Number of posts : 624
Age : 36
Country and city : Melbourne, Australia
Laziale since : 1992
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Seems that there is a few more Aussies on this forum every day. Apart from the Queenslanders & the New South Welshmen Twisted Evil , I thought i might open up this thread to discuss the upcoming AFL season.

To those who are not familiar with it, its basically an 18 a side game where the objective is to kick as many goals possible (worth 6 points each). Passing is done by foot or hand and the sport is as full contact as any in the world.

its played on an oval shaped ground with an oval ball (similar to Rugby). The ground is approx 150mt long and 120mt wide.

Just thought I'd encourage all non followers, in the event you ever travel to Australia or if you ever meet an Aussie in your country... To proudly declare you are an Essendon Football Club fan! also known as the "Bombers" Wink

A unique aspect is the contact made in our game. It probably explains why many Australians dislike football (soccer). Because we see so many dives and over exaggerations on the soccer pitch when compared to the hits that you see in the clip below.

Incidently, not all, but most of these hits are "legal" and the players dont carry on & act like they've been shot, instead opting to get right back up on their feet and play on.

Please note Sile: There are no dingo's involved whatsoever in any aspect of this sport Very Happy


Enjoy. Let the hits begin..........

GO BOMBERS!




Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 pm

Hahahah well this thread will make some good banter then, cause I'm a Carlton supporter. Don't ask why cause honestly I don't have a good reason LOL.

Went to the game when Carlton played Adelaide at AAMI (wearing a navy blue Lazio scarf of course) and copped it from my mates as we didn't manage to kick a goal for the whole first half FFS. Managed to incite the Crows fans together with some drunk Vic in the second half though. Love a good day out at the footy. bounce

Tbh I'm not a fan of the constant rule changes that they make each year. They don't improve the game in any way.
Back to top Go down
Kris
Curva Nord
Curva Nord


Number of posts : 624
Age : 36
Country and city : Melbourne, Australia
Laziale since : 1992
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:08 pm

Caput Mundi wrote:
Hahahah well this thread will make some good banter then, cause I'm a Carlton supporter. Don't ask why cause honestly I don't have a good reason LOL.

Went to the game when Carlton played Adelaide at AAMI (wearing a navy blue Lazio scarf of course) and copped it from my mates as we didn't manage to kick a goal for the whole first half FFS. Managed to incite the Crows fans together with some drunk Vic in the second half though. Love a good day out at the footy. bounce

Tbh I'm not a fan of the constant rule changes that they make each year. They don't improve the game in any way.

So you support the scum ey?

i think you picked Carlton because of its Italian link & player herritage?
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:11 pm

Kris wrote:
Caput Mundi wrote:
Hahahah well this thread will make some good banter then, cause I'm a Carlton supporter. Don't ask why cause honestly I don't have a good reason LOL.

Went to the game when Carlton played Adelaide at AAMI (wearing a navy blue Lazio scarf of course) and copped it from my mates as we didn't manage to kick a goal for the whole first half FFS. Managed to incite the Crows fans together with some drunk Vic in the second half though. Love a good day out at the footy. bounce

Tbh I'm not a fan of the constant rule changes that they make each year. They don't improve the game in any way.

So you support the scum ey?

i think you picked Carlton because of its Italian link & player herritage?

No, I support Carlton. Twisted Evil

haha I was 6 or 7 at the time, so nah, I wouldn't have had a clue about that stuff. Maybe cause I just liked to be the rebel when everyone else was getting stuck into Crows-Power banter. tongue
Back to top Go down
Kris
Curva Nord
Curva Nord


Number of posts : 624
Age : 36
Country and city : Melbourne, Australia
Laziale since : 1992
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 pm

Caput Mundi wrote:
No, I support Carlton. Twisted Evil

Errr, Ummmm? Thats what i said.. See?

Kris wrote:
So you support the scum ey?




cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 2665
Age : 32
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:59 pm

I personally prefer the Erinsborough Dingoes. Ringo is a good player! cheers

_________________
To knog or not to knog......
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli


Number of posts : 3884
Age : 27
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:22 pm

Pffft. (nice one Gio). Very Happy

Oh, by the way: Gaelic Football PWNS AFL.

Just so you know.
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 2737
Age : 33
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:09 pm

Kris wrote:

Please note Sile: There are no dingo's involved whatsoever in any aspect of this sport Very Happy

Giolazio wrote:
I personally prefer the Erinsborough Dingoes

scratch



_________________
"One love, One Lazio SUPER TECH!!!" - mr douglas

Back to top Go down
frederick
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli


Number of posts : 410
Age : 36
Country and city : Sydney
Laziale since : 1996
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:21 pm

Bah! I really don't follow AFL that much, apart from Sydney Swans winning the premiership on 2005.. At the end, it's not AFL, it's VFL

Here is Sydney, we don't really care too much about AFL, the defection of Karmichael Hunt won't change anything, Rugby League still is the number one sport in NSW, ironically I support Melbourne Storm (only because they made it to the final 4 times in a row) tongue
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm

The new Western Sydney side should call themselves the Dingoes IMO. Very Happy By the looks of it they could jag themselves a cult following internationally. And they'll need it cause I can't see the public of Western Sydney getting behind this team. bounce
Back to top Go down
frederick
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli


Number of posts : 410
Age : 36
Country and city : Sydney
Laziale since : 1996
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

Caput Mundi wrote:
The new Western Sydney side should call themselves the Dingoes IMO. Very Happy By the looks of it they could jag themselves a cult following internationally. And they'll need it cause I can't see the public of Western Sydney getting behind this team. bounce

I agreed, I really don't think it will work, we only have one AFL team from Sydney, and that's too much already tongue Beside that, they are at least 3 Rugby League team within Western Sydney area, so they really need to recruit smart.. It's the same as Melbourne, introducing another Rugby Union team (Melbourne Rebel) is just waste of time imo, I bet some Melbournian don't even know the likes of Greg Inglis or Cooper Cronk affraid Although, I wouldn't bet on having Lotito's tatoo on my butt tongue
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:53 pm

frederick wrote:
Caput Mundi wrote:
The new Western Sydney side should call themselves the Dingoes IMO. Very Happy By the looks of it they could jag themselves a cult following internationally. And they'll need it cause I can't see the public of Western Sydney getting behind this team. bounce

I agreed, I really don't think it will work, we only have one AFL team from Sydney, and that's too much already tongue Beside that, they are at least 3 Rugby League team within Western Sydney area, so they really need to recruit smart.. It's the same as Melbourne, introducing another Rugby Union team (Melbourne Rebel) is just waste of time imo, I bet some Melbournian don't even know the likes of Greg Inglis or Cooper Cronk affraid Although, I wouldn't bet on having Lotito's tatoo on my butt tongue
Hahaha I honestly haven't heard of him either. Being from SA, I've never ever got into rugby at all.

On West Sydney, they should have an a-league team by then as well.
Back to top Go down
Kris
Curva Nord
Curva Nord


Number of posts : 624
Age : 36
Country and city : Melbourne, Australia
Laziale since : 1992
Registration date : 2008-07-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

frederick wrote:
Caput Mundi wrote:
The new Western Sydney side should call themselves the Dingoes IMO. Very Happy By the looks of it they could jag themselves a cult following internationally. And they'll need it cause I can't see the public of Western Sydney getting behind this team. bounce

I agreed, I really don't think it will work, we only have one AFL team from Sydney, and that's too much already tongue Beside that, they are at least 3 Rugby League team within Western Sydney area, so they really need to recruit smart.. It's the same as Melbourne, introducing another Rugby Union team (Melbourne Rebel) is just waste of time imo, I bet some Melbournian don't even know the likes of Greg Inglis or Cooper Cronk affraid Although, I wouldn't bet on having Lotito's tatoo on my butt tongue

Everyone in Melbourne knows who Inglis & Cronk are! You fail to mention that the Storm get a bigger average attendance than any other NSW based league club, even though its probably the 4th most popular code in Victoria?

And you reckon the Rebels wont succeed? I bet my Lotito arse on it they will.

And Caxi... What is Gaelic Football? Isnt it some amateur sport played on weekends by postmen & school teachers?
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 2737
Age : 33
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:26 pm


_________________
"One love, One Lazio SUPER TECH!!!" - mr douglas

Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli


Number of posts : 3884
Age : 27
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:57 pm

Kris wrote:
And Caxi... What is Gaelic Football? Isnt it some amateur sport played on weekends by postmen & school teachers?

I believe so, which makes it all the more pleasureable when our part-time amateur postmen and school teachers dish up some Aussie arses on a plate.

Got so embarrassing for you lot that you've started sending nobodys for some whoopass.

And let's not talk about other sports. Despite the fact you have over 4 times our pop. we can match you in pretty much any sport. Maybe even cricket.
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 2737
Age : 33
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:08 pm

Caxi wrote:
Despite the fact you have over 4 times our pop.

Expect that to change in the coming years, because Australia is suffering from a heavy demographic recession, because as you probably know the dingo's keep taking their babies. Crying or Very sad

_________________
"One love, One Lazio SUPER TECH!!!" - mr douglas

Back to top Go down
William-85
Curva Nord
Curva Nord


Number of posts : 570
Age : 31
Country and city : Northern Ireland, Belfast
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:14 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle


Number of posts : 2371
Age : 27
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:01 am

AFL sucks! tongue
Back to top Go down
frederick
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli


Number of posts : 410
Age : 36
Country and city : Sydney
Laziale since : 1996
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:26 pm

Kris wrote:
Everyone in Melbourne knows who Inglis & Cronk are! You fail to mention that the Storm get a bigger average attendance than any other NSW based league club, even though its probably the 4th most popular code in Victoria?

And you reckon the Rebels wont succeed? I bet my Lotito arse on it they will.

And Caxi... What is Gaelic Football? Isnt it some amateur sport played on weekends by postmen & school teachers?

I watched the footy shows last season, they had Beau Ryan interviewing some of Victorian, and they had no idea who Inglis is.. Maybe if he asked some guy wearing dark purple shirt with Host Plus written at the back, they might know Greg Inglis or Cooper Cronk is.. I am not sure where you get the stats, but during derby matches (I am talking about Dragons vs Eels/Buldogs) the average attendance are packed to the max... and don't forget the state of origin last year alone brought 80,000 people to the stadium.

I guess it's the same as AFL mad in Melbourne.. I don't think Rebel will work, first I find rugby union a little bit boring, second, it's Melbourne, they love their AFL too much, they won't bother about other sports..

Didn't you know Thierry Henry playing Gaelic Football when he was young? Hand of frog anyone?
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Any sport will have some success in Melbourne. They'll get behind anything just cause they can.

@ Bobbi. What sort of coverage does AFL get in NZ, if any at all??
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 2665
Age : 32
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:52 pm



cheers

I was gutted when it never worked out for him at the bigger team, taking the flack for that car accident and stuff but I guess bad news for the AFL was good news for Erinsborough....Ok, ok I got it out my system! Very Happy

_________________
To knog or not to knog......
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle


Number of posts : 2371
Age : 27
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:04 am

Caput Mundi wrote:


@ Bobbi. What sort of coverage does AFL get in NZ, if any at all??

None whatsoever. Unless you watch the highlights on the Australian Sky News sports section. That's about it.

In NZ its mainly the rugby union that gets coverage and attention - and also the league to an extent but not as much as union. Also cricket and once in a while netball.

I like the NRL the most, especially the Warriors and Cowboys. Union is alright but can get boring very easily for me. The only good union matches are NZ vs Australia (and I believe we have beaten you quite a bit the last few times?). tongue
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:53 pm

I realise its only the NAB Cup and therefore has as much importance as a first round Coppa Italia match against Cassino but some stick is in order to be dished out after the Bummers got off to a good start to 2010 with a 35-pt loss to the Eagles.

one can only hope that all of Essendon's third quarters will be similar to that one. Twisted Evil

_________________
Quote :
It's more than just oil, it's liquid engineering.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle


Number of posts : 2371
Age : 27
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:09 pm

Whats happening with the two Adelaide clubs right now? The other day on Australian Sky News one of their chairmen was being interviewed about the situation and said his side (and the other one) are considering a merge together!?
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member


Number of posts : 1434
Age : 24
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:14 am

Bobbi wrote:
Whats happening with the two Adelaide clubs right now? The other day on Australian Sky News one of their chairmen was being interviewed about the situation and said his side (and the other one) are considering a merge together!?

The merger isn't between the 2 Adelaide AFL clubs, it's between the 2 Port Adelaide clubs.

Basically, Port Adelaide are Adelaide's oldest and most successful club. They were formed in 1870 as the Magpies and have won over 30 premierships. In 1997 they moved into the AFL and became the Power.

A new club was established to keep a Magpies team in the state competition as they're the biggest club with the biggest crowds etc. Now that club is going under and they wanted a merger with the Power to stay alive but the other clubs rejected this so basically, they need $$ and they need it quickly.

_________________
Quote :
It's more than just oil, it's liquid engineering.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!   Today at 3:00 am

Back to top Go down
 
A thread for the 2nd best sport on the earth, AFL!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Bleacher Thread? Two Sport Seasons
» Pissing off Germans...my build thread
» Plog!! (power log thread)
» Dual Sport wire harness
» FS: Set of 235/45-17 Dunlop SP Sport 01 $400

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: THE FANS PUB :: Free talks-
Jump to: