Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:31 am

another heart-stopping finish. it's too bad for italy, they fought hard and their defense stood very strong against villa, guiza & torres. but how about spain breaking their penalty woes? i think they deserved it, they've played brilliantly though out the tournament.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:40 am

What was Donandoni thinking??? Great defensive performance but NOTHING apart from that. I'm not disappointed i'm really angry! One shot on target after 120mins is unbelievable and Spain deserved it!

ADDIO DONADONI!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
usampa
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 846
Country and city : Bulgaria , Rousse > Now in France
Laziale since : 1994

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:45 am

Boring match as a whole. Chielini best player , I cant believe how narrow was Tony again . Very little opportunities in front of him , why Di Natale is always substitute....
Despite the Spaniards was leading and holding the initiative , I think they was afraid , afraid of the name Italy. Especially in forward they was very nervous , and that cost them their concentration. What can I say , today they didn't show any confidence , but the fortune made them favour.
Back to top Go down
Mafalda
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 628
Country and city : Chile, Santiago
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:56 am

Mafalda wrote:
How bad for Türkiye ... Nihat is injured Crying or Very sad there are 5 players injured .... lucky germans.

Something tell me that today Spain will kill the history ... will be a very interesting game. Very Happy

Wasnt a too interesting game but my sixth sense was right Very Happy

Sorry guys but Spain deserved to win cheers
Back to top Go down
Mafalda
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 628
Country and city : Chile, Santiago
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:06 am

Tolga Sengin the third turkish GK could play as striker Surprised

The injured are: Nihat Kahveci, Tümer Metin, Emre Belözoglu, Emre Güngor and Ayhan
But banned because of yellow card are: Tuncay Sanli, Arda Turan and Emre Asik and Volkan also can be banned.

With that, Fatih Terim has just 11 players and 2 GK ... I never saw such a situation before... but as BME said, im sure that they will fight till the end, and who knows if win to Germany??? Very Happy
In football everything can happen Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 386
Country and city : Denmark, Cph
Laziale since : A long time
Registration date : 2008-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:16 am

I think Italy played a rather clever game, everything considered...

You have to remember that this isn´t the Italy that won the World Cup two years ago and it´s obvious that Gli Azzurri as well as italian football as a whole is standing in the middle of a generation makeover.

At the moment they don´t possess the same amount of world class players like Spain does. I guess Gianluigi Buffon is the only real world class player left in Italy´s squad. Perhaps you can mention Andrea Pirlo and Luca Toni as well, but both have been exhausted and never looked able to make a difference throughout this tournament. The generation of Nesta, Totti, Del Piero, Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Gattuso etc. is just slowly coming to an end.

Italy´s approach to the game can´t really surprise anyone. This is their way of playing. Taking in consideration that their current squad is inferior to that of Spain and even more that they miss the right balance to have a powerful mix, then their defensive style is pretty much given. I think the game developed exactly as they wanted it to. They kept Spain from any real chances apart from a few shots from distance and eventhough they were never a threat themselves, they still had arguably the best chance of the match when Camoranesi almost scored... That was their chance and they almost made it...

Without Nesta, Totti, Del Piero, Cannavaro, Gattuso, Pirlo others must take over. In that sense you must discuss what the riomanista De Russi, Aquilani and Perrotta are doing... They never were able to lead the team...

However, I think the future look bright since Italy is floading over with exciting talents. Just look at their youth team and you´ll see that in a few years they will be back no doubt... I think tonight was the end of an era for Gli Azzurri...

But of course... It must be disappointing for them to be eliminated by a european minnow like Spain bounce
Back to top Go down
Laziophilic
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 279
Country and city : Jordan, Amman
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 am

I am depressed, I will leave the tournament from this point! Eventhoug I wish if Russia will win it.

italy paid for depending on the one man game! Something that Don kept it through out the whole game, Toni (maybe his last game) will never be the missing man.

Don was so niave through out his spell with the Azzuri, I think he made some mistakes in players selection but above all his tactics was never materialized for me! Lippi was a true master, he knows when and where to turn the game around, not to mention his tactics and substitutions were smooth and I never complained about them.

This nation should be proud and I would like to thank Chiellni, De Rossi, Buffon, and Ambrosini for their performance and above all addio Don.

Last but not least:

Forza Azzuri
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:18 am

Ups... and for the record...

I don´t think Spain deserved it any more than Italy did
Back to top Go down
Laziophilic
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:39 am

I think Spain deserved it! Don was waiting for penalties and the Azzuri was far from dangerous with that running jersey Toni, Cassano and Di Natali! They did well in closing thier area but at the same time ugly in the Spanish area.

Toni was Italy main problems and above all Don tactics! Why to call Borellio if you through him by this way!? Even if Delio Rossi is the coach of the nazionale he will substitute him!

We miss Nesta, Totti, Pirlo and many others, but this generation is not over and they could still deliever up to the next WC! Just take Milan as an example?? The winning mentality is there but their guide is not up to it and that is all!

I miss Bobo Vieri and bring on Carlo Ancelotti or Cappello while Don should work with Livorno in serie B.
Back to top Go down
Forza_Lazio4eva
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 213
Country and city : England

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:46 am

Imo, and it hurts to say, but Italy deserved to go out. There didnt seem to be a strategy when going forward. Chiellini put in a good performance, but the rest were not doing too well. Spain were not much better, but i feel they tried to score, even though Italy had the best chances. In any case, i hope Russia crush them.
Back to top Go down
Ermetico
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 2227
Country and city : Italia, Roma
Laziale since : 1973
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:53 am

We lost and we never convinced.
Toni is a good icecream.

The squad has to change in 2 years and we must risk with our younger line up.-

Ps ciao Donadoni,.

pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:55 am

Sgt. Pepper wrote:
I think Italy played a rather clever game, everything considered...

their only goal was to play out 120 min, and get a go at the penalties hoping that Buffon will do his job
at last they got what they deserved, a return ticket Roma Fiumicino ... this Italia was unworthy to be called Worldchampions
Back to top Go down
Thiago
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 214
Country and city : Brasil
Laziale since : 1996
Registration date : 2008-06-18

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:13 am

In my opinion Donadoni should have given Borriello a chance... And should have started with Camoranesi from the beginning... Perrotta sucks, he shouldn't even be on the squad!
Back to top Go down
Laziale_100%
Aquilotto
Aquilotto

Number of posts : 46
Country and city : Zenica, BIH
Laziale since : 1999

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:16 am

Hmmmmmmm...why they were only looking at Toni, like Sweden at Ibrahimovic..????
I think that was their the biggest mistake...
Back to top Go down
Sgt. Pepper
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:41 am

Pazke...

They play like this. They always did. Like it or not. Personally I like it a lot.

Their tactics against a strong team like Spain, who probably have the best passing game of the whole tournament, is to close down space and secure their own half while trying to hit them on the counter.

Italy closed down Spain totally and their defensive performance was probably the best one we´ve seen at this Euro !!! They hardly gave one chance away, apart from a few long distance shots. Quite impressive I would say. The fact that they are able to do that, is also the reason why Italy almost always go far in tournaments whereas teams like Portugal, Holland and usually also Spain go home early. Because they can´t defend. Everyone is blabbing about Portugal, Holland and Spain and how impressive these teams play. Yes indeed, nice passing game, fast paced offense, but can they defend. Not really...

Now Spain is still there and maybe they will go all the way, although I don´t think so. But you see the point.

Now what can be criticised about Italy´s game is their offense. They never managed to create many chances and they were quite unimaginative in their offence, although I still repeat they had better chances than Spain ever had tonight. All in all... despite being the inferior team on paper, they still managed to keep Spain from creating anything, had the better chances and had the game decided in a 50/50 shootout. Not many inferior teams could have done that, which is why I repeat that Italy played a rather clever game. I would say, defensively brilliant, offensively not really good.

They played exactly the same way in Germany two years ago, but back then, they were dangerous as a snake when attacking. Which they weren´t tonight and never ever was in this tournament. Surely because the team they had in Germany wasn´t inferior to anyone.

I didn´t say Spain didn´t deserve it. I said they didn´t deserve it more than Italy did. Tonight they were passing and passing, but they never got anywhere. I think you could say that Italy more than Spain, managed to make their gameplan work as it was supposed to !!!

However, if you are a hopeless romantic who just believe that the team who has most possession and try to create the game should win, then of course Spain was the better team. But more correct would probably be to argue that Spain-Italy is a clash between two different ways of approaching the game. Like it or not...
Back to top Go down
Laziophilic
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:53 am

Toni was in rush of glory and prevented Grosso from heading the ball that has a probability of more than 99.9% to be in!

For the Azzuri fans, It will be a pleasure to follow the Italian Olympic team in China! Hoping De Silvestri and co will let us forget us this awful night.
Back to top Go down
BigMamaEagle
Honour member
Honour member

Number of posts : 236
Country and city : USA
Laziale since : 2000

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 am

BigMamaEagle wrote:
I predict that every match from now on will go to xtratime.
I'm right so far.
Back to top Go down
pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:07 pm

MOTM : Marcos Senna, I think he has 4 lungs to run at all the balls and win them
Back to top Go down
Broencoceleste
Forum Maister
Forum Maister

Number of posts : 1218
Country and city : Jakarta, Indonesia

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 1:48 pm

Spain played superbly... Donadoni was a chicken coward because his tactic was too defensive... Don't get me wrong, but I love Italian NT, that's why I give him this hard critic. The beautiful offensive Italian football that I saw in the qualification was suddenly gone because of the flying Dutch, and then because DD was really afraid that Italy going to lose with the offensive football suddenly the Italians played like greeks, so much talent in that squad and they played like Greeks!!

I'd say the Spaniards deserved it, a big time, if it wasn't because of the "nice" referring for not giving Spaniards the penalties, Italians would have been beaten by 2-0.

There is one thing that positive for the Italians of course, they found half of the Cannavarro - Nesta's heir, and he is Chiellini!! Juve is soo damn lucky Suspect
Back to top Go down
Conn
Honour member
Honour member

Number of posts : 734
Country and city : Italy, Rome
Laziale since : I was born
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:49 pm

I believe that we could not ask more than this to "this" Italy.

I agree about Chiellini as the best news for the Italian NT from Euro2008; I hope at least one more, about the bench, will follow...
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:01 pm

I just don't get why Donandoni completey scrapped the system that got us to Euro2008! Di Natali-Toni-Camoranesi was always deadly and just because our defense had a poor game against Holland he completely changes the whole formation! That was the biggest mistake.

People shouldn't be too harsh on Toni, if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have qualified in the first place and he was isolated the whole tournament. It was really only the France game when he wasteful. Well done Chiellini, it's good to see a star emerge after all the disappointment!
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:35 pm

People should be harsh about Toni's support. Perrotta obviously was not sufficient, Cassano was only effective in one match, Del Piero was hit-or-miss. I think Donadoni should be criticized for his lack of creative players in the midfield. With Ambrosini, Aquiliani and De Rossi there is hardly a link between the forwards and the midfield. Maybe in this match that was supposed to be Perrotta. He was invisible, though, baring one chance with his head. They just hoped they'd be able to capitalize on quick counter attacks. They needed a Pirlo or a Montolivo. Sure, they could stop almost any attack that came at them, but that's no good if you can't create adequate chances for your striker(s). Camoranesi was positive, but they needed someone to maintain a flow in the midfield, and hold possession in some way, much the way Xavi did in the first half for Spain.

Sure, Donadoni did come into this match with tactics, but they did not work. Even if he did aim to go to a shootout, they still lost in they shootout. The problem with his strategy is that it relies on the other team's mistakes. You have to hope that your opponent gives up possession and in doing so leaves themselves vulnerable at the back.
Back to top Go down
Uragano
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 421
Country and city : US, Washington DC
Laziale since : 1985

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 pm

I was very disappointed in the match yesterday. PK's fine...that's 50-50. We're lucky we made it to PK's, though. Spain played the way I was hoping WE would play. Unfort. we were playing VERY conservative and defensive - which is the Italian way - but I actually thought we would use the air more and control the tempo more than we did. If it wasn't for our solid defense, this game would have been about 3-0, Spain! We were hoping to get a counter goal, lead 1-0 and hold out. Problem was, our midfield w/out Pirlo couldn't do much. The passes to Toni were wide, over him, or right at a Spanish player. We just looked slow and rusty. As mentioned, we're lucky we made it to PK's.

I can't remember who said it earlier, but we're RIGHT in the mix of a transition. Gone are the days of Nesta, Totti, Del Piero, etc. It's time to start rebuilding with youth around the core of Toni, etc.

I'm proud of the Azzurri for making it this far. Just because we're the defending world champs, doesn't mean we're destined to win the Euro. 2 years have gone by and so have quite a few players. On paper, Italy still look good, but no where near as talented as Spain on the field. Just my opinion and I'm die hard Azzurri.

From here on out...VIVA ESPANA!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Euro 2008 Discussion   Today at 11:19 pm

Back to top Go down

Euro 2008 Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 14 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next