AuthorMessage
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:34 am

No disrespect to any fans of the sides in that group but I really don't think any of them deserve to make the World Cup and I think whoever makes it through to the play-offs will be routed. That's just my opinion, I know I'm partial to Scotland but it would be a travesty if they make it.

As for Ireland, a rather fortunate 2-1 away win against Cyprus. Giovanni is destroying this team and although we do need a good, tactical brain in charge, we can't keep playing catenaccio. Our squad probably is good enough to make the World Cup but don't deserve to based on our style of football. Frankly, it's ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:02 am

Bulgaria 4-1 Montenegro

A good home win, but unfortunately for us both Italy and Ireland got fortunate wins against Georgia and Cyprus respectively. Bulgaria have 3 more games to play (Italy, Cyprus, Georgia) and although we are also unbeaten, too many draws and injuries to key players have screwed us over this campaign (most notably Martin Petrov) and sadly luck hasn't been on our side. I don't know how realistic our chances are of reaching the WC next year. Crying or Very sad

We need a good result against in Italy in a few days time and hope for Ireland to slip up a bit. No disrespect Caxi. tongue
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 1434
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:15 am

I feel sick to the stomach thinking of how little hope we have of successfully defending our World Champions crown.
Can't help but wish Lippi didn't come back. He's held this team back.

Secret_Samadhi
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 502
Country and city : Bosnia-Herzegovina, Sweden
Laziale since : 1994

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:00 pm

On Wednesday, Bosnia plays Turkey. It will be a hell of a game, if we win we will get the second place. Fingers crossed for Bosnia, I think we deserve the second place after these games.
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:08 pm

A massive game on Wednesday between England and Croatia. England will be keen to avenge their defeat that cost them the Euro and Croatia will be desperate for a good game to keep their fate in their own hands.

A psychological warfare of sorts os going on, started by the british media relating to Eduardo's dive. Accusations are flying from all over, and cro coach Slaven Bilic simply told the accusers "to can it".
Football is supposed to be played on the pitch, and the hysteria the british press can at times create is ridiculous. Not to mention Wayne Rooney dived not once but twice in the last fortnight, against Arsenal and in a friendly against Slovenia.

Can't wait, it's going to be epic.

Back to top Go down
Henrik
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 576
Country and city : Sweden, Norrköping
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Never liked England, I'll chear for the Croats in this one. Hope they can repeat what they did two years ago. Even though I feel that their team is a little bit weaker this time, but one point for Croatia would be good for them as well.
Back to top Go down
Sturges
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 135
Country and city : England
Laziale since : 2003
Registration date : 2008-05-26

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:40 pm

Henrik wrote:
Never liked England, I'll chear for the Croats in this one. Hope they can repeat what they did two years ago. Even though I feel that their team is a little bit weaker this time, but one point for Croatia would be good for them as well.

As much as I agree and want England to lose desperately it makes little or no difference they are all but in SA
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:18 am

Sturges, Croatia can't put England's qualification at risk, however they can put the English in their place and show them the way to behave. Even Terry was and outspoken critic of Eduardo, this coming from a player that played alongside Drogba of all people for a number of years.

Back to top Go down
Henrik
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:45 pm

Malta - Sweden 0-1. Thanks to an own goal in the 81st minute...
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:33 pm

Unlucky Scotland, gutsy performance and hit the woodwork twice, but the damage was already done before this match.

On a plus side Italy 2-0 Bulgaria!!! (Although I still can't believe the holders have to qualify!!! No )

Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 570
Country and city : Northern Ireland, Belfast
Registration date : 2009-05-10

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:48 pm

Northern Ireland 0 - 2 Slovakia

Bad sh*t!
Back to top Go down
Edi
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 176
Country and city : sLOVEnia, Koper/Capodistria/Caput Histrae
Laziale since : ancient greece:)
Registration date : 2008-05-12

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:02 am

Sile wrote:

Can I? Please... tongue Haha tongue You'll pass anyway I guess. Wink

Why the hell Slovenia had to loose in Belfast. Crying or Very sad It would be way easier for us, but at least we have a chance of qualifying after few bad qualifications. drunken
Back to top Go down
pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:34 am

Edi, a reminder that out of the 9 European groups, the 'worst' 2nd place wont get a play-off ticket, the other 8 will.

And at the moment, Slovenia is the worst 2nd placed team.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:57 am

pazke wrote:
Edi, a reminder that out of the 9 European groups, the 'worst' 2nd place wont get a play-off ticket, the other 8 will.

Norway will finish last, they have played all there games, while Slovenia have 2 games left.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:29 am

Giolazio wrote:

On a plus side Italy 2-0 Bulgaria!!! (Although I still can't believe the holders have to qualify!!! No )

Our chances are all but over. We're 5 points behind Ireland with both teams having 2 games left to play..... Crying or Very sad

I agree, the holders shouldn't have to qualify.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:34 am

Bobbi wrote:
Giolazio wrote:

Our chances are all but over. We're 5 points behind Ireland with both teams having 2 games left to play..... Crying or Very sad

I agree, the holders shouldn't have to qualify.

Some pundits here were saying that Bulgaria have probably been the best team overall in our group. Not sure I can agree with that statement but they are certainly unlucky to find themselves out of contention.

Italy should come top although Croke Park at full capacity will intimidate anyone. I think even now that we are set for the play-offs, we will need to intimidate our opponents at home to progress. I'm still looking too far ahead though; this Ireland side is still fragile.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:55 am

I wouldn't say Bulgaria have been the best team overall but I do think we have been very unlucky with too many draws which should have been won, and important players injured hasn't helped much either (Martin Petrov and Bojinov just returned to the NT last week).

Berbatov as usual has been hot and cold. The Bulgarian media give him a lot of trap about it as well. He hasn't had a very good qualifying campaign but against Montenegro the other day (4-1) he scored a penalty and assisted the other 3 goals. Against Italy I forgot he was even on the pitch. This is why I'm not his biggest fan.

As for the groups overall best team? No one really stands out in my opinion.

Italy have basically qualified but not the way you'd imagine they would have. Not comprehensive, lucky at times and scraped through against teams like Cyprus. Ireland, although not very exciting to watch (sorry Caxi), have done what they needed to and will surely qualify in at 2nd spot.

Overall I would give the 'award' to Ireland. Not convincing but their style paid off..... and a lot of Robbie Keane goals scored in the last 10 minutes giving Ireland all 3 points certainly helps tongue
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:28 am

It's poor stuff on our part admittedly. It's the wrong style of football for us; we have super aggressive players and guys who rough it out and then we have a bit of flair too. All the elements are there to replicate former glory but Traps' passive, defensive style contradicts our boys' mentality although perhaps in the long run it will develop our game.

I'd like to think if we find some adventure, we can get a great result against Italy, maybe progress beyond a play-off and cause some shocks in South Africa. But as guys like Kris Neutral will often remind me, that's not going to happen with some of the performances we've thrown in.

I'll give you an interesting stat as an example. We beat South Africa last night in a friendly; that was Trap's first back-to-back wins since he took over. That's how inconsistent we have been never mind Italy and Bulgaria.

It has been, to be frank, a poor scrap.
Back to top Go down
Edi
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:18 am

pazke wrote:

I know, but we still have to play San Marino and Slovakia away... that's why I'm crying about Belfast. Crying or Very sad Anyway, it's Norway and Scotland to be the worst 2nd placed team with 10 points, while we have 14, just like Greece.
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 1434
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:22 am

Much better performance from Italia last night. Wonder save from Gigi and both goals had some excellent 1-2 passing and crisp finishes from both Grosso and Iaquinta. Still a lot to be ironed out but at least there has finally been progress there to be seen on the park. Pirlo behind the strikers is a good move (if it was Cassano, even better, but that will never happen).

I actually like that we have to qualify. At least we know we need serious improvement and can make necessary changes before 2010, guys like Marchisio (impressive lad) can be integrated into competitive matches before the tournament so they don't go in cold.

pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:41 am

Edi wrote:
Anyway, it's Norway and Scotland to be the worst 2nd placed team with 10 points, while we have 14, just like Greece.

Russia and Croatia are already sure of a play-off (if they don't win their groups), and Norway beat Scotland in their group, leaving them as 2nd place.

But I think Norway will be the worst 2nd place, just Sweden and Ireland have to win one of their 2 last games, and Norway will be at home in 2010.

As Slovenia beat Poland yesterday, giving them 17 point minus 6 from San Marino = 11, good enough for play-offs.
Back to top Go down
Edi
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:56 am

That's maths already, I hate it. Very Happy I found a standing of best second placed teams...

Russia 7 6 0 1 +12 18 points
France 7 3 3 1 +1 12
Slovenia 7 3 2 2 +4 11
Croatia 7 3 2 2 -1 11
Bosnia 6 3 1 2 +8 10
Greece 6 3 1 2 +3 10
Norway 8 2 4 2 +2 10
Ireland 6 2 4 0 +2 10
Sweden 6 2 3 1 +1 9
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:40 pm

Edi wrote:
Sile wrote:

Can I? Please... tongue Haha tongue You'll pass anyway I guess. Wink

Why the hell Slovenia had to loose in Belfast. Crying or Very sad It would be way easier for us, but at least we have a chance of qualifying after few bad qualifications. drunken

Well it was epic, wasn't it? Croatia's worst defeat ever...

Hats of to england, what a player they have in Lennon. And with Capello at helm, ufff.

Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:19 pm

Edi wrote:
That's maths already, I hate it. Very Happy I found a standing of best second placed teams...

Russia 7 6 0 1 +12 18 points
France 7 3 3 1 +1 12
Slovenia 7 3 2 2 +4 11
Croatia 7 3 2 2 -1 11
Bosnia 6 3 1 2 +8 10
Greece 6 3 1 2 +3 10
Norway 8 2 4 2 +2 10
Ireland 6 2 4 0 +2 10
Sweden 6 2 3 1 +1 9

Bear in mind that if Ukraine beats England then Ukraine will have 1 point over Croatia with a game to go, so Croatia is very dependent of England.

But, and I don't want to put a hex, if all goes well we could see Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia&Herzegovina in the play-offs or directly in the WC!!! Maybe even Macedonia too, but that's a long shot (still possible).

Wouldn't that be something.

Back to top Go down
Henrik
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:56 pm

No, Macedonia's chances of reaching World Cup are gone.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: World Cup 2010 - European Qualification   Today at 12:44 am

Back to top Go down

World Cup 2010 - European Qualification
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next