Forum Maister

Number of posts : 1218
Country and city : Jakarta, Indonesia
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:10 pm

Powerful quake strikes central Italy, killing 50
Thousands homeless as magnitude 6.3 temblor topples churches, buildings

L'AQUILA, Italy - A powerful earthquake in mountainous central Italy knocked down whole blocks of buildings early Monday as residents slept, killing at least 50 people and trapping many more, officials said. Thousands were homeless.

The earthquake's epicenter was about 70 miles northeast of Rome near the medieval city of L'Aquila. It struck at 3:32 a.m. local time in a quake-prone region that has had at least nine smaller jolts since the beginning of April. The U.S. Geological Survey said Monday's quake was magnitude 6.3, but Italy's National Institute of Geophysics put it at 5.8.

Interior Minister Roberto Moroni, arriving in L'Aquila hours after the quake, said 50 people had been killed.

Officials said the death toll was likely to rise as rescue crews clawed through the debris of fallen homes.

L'Aquila Mayor Massimo Cialente said some 100,000 people had left their homes and that many buildings in the city's historic center were damaged. Slabs of walls, twisted steel supports, furniture and wire fences were strewn about the streets and a gray dust carpeted sidewalks, cars and residents.

Students trapped
As ambulances screamed through the city, firefighters aided by dogs worked feverishly to reach people trapped in fallen buildings, including a student dormitory where half a dozen university students were believed still inside.

Outside the half-collapsed dorm, tearful young people huddled together, wrapped in blankets, some still in their slippers after being roused from sleep by the quake.

"We managed to come down with other students but we had to sneak through a hole in the stairs as the whole floor came down," said student Luigi Alfonsi, 22. "I was in bed — it was like it would never end as I heard pieces of the building collapse around me."

The town of Castelnuovo also appeared hard hit, with five confirmed dead there.

State of emergency
Premier Silvio Berlusconi declared a state of emergency, freeing up federal funds to deal with the disaster. He canceled a visit to Russia and planned to go to L'Aquila to deal with the crisis.

Residents and rescue workers hauled away debris from collapsed buildings by hand.

Firefighters pulled a woman covered in dust from the debris of her four-story home. Rescue crews demanded quiet as they listened for signs of life from other people believed still trapped inside.

Main hospital at risk of collapse
Parts of L'Aquila's main hospital were evacuated because they were at risk of collapse, forcing the wounded to be treated in the open air or taken elsewhere.

Image: A police officer in front of a damaged building
Filippo Monteforte / AFP - Getty Images
A police officer talks on a mobile phone on Monday in front of a damaged building in the center of L'Aquila.

Bloodied victims waited to be tended to in hospital hallways or outside in the hospital courtyard. Only two operating rooms were working. Civil protection crews were erecting a field hospital to deal with the influx of wounded.

On the city's dusty streets, as aftershocks continued to rumble through, residents hugged one another, prayed quietly or frantically tried to call relatives. Residents covered in dust pushed carts full of clothes and blankets that they had hastily packed before fleeing their homes.

"We left as soon as we felt the first tremors," said Antonio D'Ostilio, 22, as he stood on a street in L'Aquila with a huge suitcase piled with clothes he had thrown together. "We woke up all of a sudden and we immediately ran downstairs in our pajamas."

Housing the homeless
Agostino Miozzo, an official with the Civil Protection Department, said between 10,000 and 15,000 buildings were damaged. He said stadiums and sporting fields were being readied to house the homeless.

"This means that the we'll have several thousand people to assist over the next few weeks and months," Miozzo told Sky Italia. "Our goal is to give shelter to all by tonight."

ANSA said the dome of a church in L'Aquila collapsed, while the city's cathedral also suffered damage.

The Israeli Embassy in Rome said that officials were trying to make contact with a few Israeli citizens believed to be in the region who had not been in touch with their families. Embassy spokeswoman Rachel Feinmesser did not give an exact number.

L'Aquila lies in a valley surrounded by the Apennine mountains. It is the regional capital of the Abruzzo region, with about 70,000 inhabitants.

The last major quake to hit central Italy was a 5.4-magnitude temblor that struck the south-central Molise region on Oct. 31, 2002, killing 28 people, including 27 children who died when their school collapsed.

msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30061140/

My deepest condolences for the victims of the earthquake No
Back to top Go down
danielganx
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 450
Country and city : Indonesia , Jakarta
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Broencoceleste wrote:
Powerful quake strikes central Italy, killing 50
Thousands homeless as magnitude 6.3 temblor topples churches, buildings

L'AQUILA, Italy - A powerful earthquake in mountainous central Italy knocked down whole blocks of buildings early Monday as residents slept, killing at least 50 people and trapping many more, officials said. Thousands were homeless.

The earthquake's epicenter was about 70 miles northeast of Rome near the medieval city of L'Aquila. It struck at 3:32 a.m. local time in a quake-prone region that has had at least nine smaller jolts since the beginning of April. The U.S. Geological Survey said Monday's quake was magnitude 6.3, but Italy's National Institute of Geophysics put it at 5.8.

Interior Minister Roberto Moroni, arriving in L'Aquila hours after the quake, said 50 people had been killed.

Officials said the death toll was likely to rise as rescue crews clawed through the debris of fallen homes.

L'Aquila Mayor Massimo Cialente said some 100,000 people had left their homes and that many buildings in the city's historic center were damaged. Slabs of walls, twisted steel supports, furniture and wire fences were strewn about the streets and a gray dust carpeted sidewalks, cars and residents.

Students trapped
As ambulances screamed through the city, firefighters aided by dogs worked feverishly to reach people trapped in fallen buildings, including a student dormitory where half a dozen university students were believed still inside.

Outside the half-collapsed dorm, tearful young people huddled together, wrapped in blankets, some still in their slippers after being roused from sleep by the quake.

"We managed to come down with other students but we had to sneak through a hole in the stairs as the whole floor came down," said student Luigi Alfonsi, 22. "I was in bed — it was like it would never end as I heard pieces of the building collapse around me."

The town of Castelnuovo also appeared hard hit, with five confirmed dead there.

State of emergency
Premier Silvio Berlusconi declared a state of emergency, freeing up federal funds to deal with the disaster. He canceled a visit to Russia and planned to go to L'Aquila to deal with the crisis.

Residents and rescue workers hauled away debris from collapsed buildings by hand.

Firefighters pulled a woman covered in dust from the debris of her four-story home. Rescue crews demanded quiet as they listened for signs of life from other people believed still trapped inside.

Main hospital at risk of collapse
Parts of L'Aquila's main hospital were evacuated because they were at risk of collapse, forcing the wounded to be treated in the open air or taken elsewhere.

Image: A police officer in front of a damaged building
Filippo Monteforte / AFP - Getty Images
A police officer talks on a mobile phone on Monday in front of a damaged building in the center of L'Aquila.

Bloodied victims waited to be tended to in hospital hallways or outside in the hospital courtyard. Only two operating rooms were working. Civil protection crews were erecting a field hospital to deal with the influx of wounded.

On the city's dusty streets, as aftershocks continued to rumble through, residents hugged one another, prayed quietly or frantically tried to call relatives. Residents covered in dust pushed carts full of clothes and blankets that they had hastily packed before fleeing their homes.

"We left as soon as we felt the first tremors," said Antonio D'Ostilio, 22, as he stood on a street in L'Aquila with a huge suitcase piled with clothes he had thrown together. "We woke up all of a sudden and we immediately ran downstairs in our pajamas."

Housing the homeless
Agostino Miozzo, an official with the Civil Protection Department, said between 10,000 and 15,000 buildings were damaged. He said stadiums and sporting fields were being readied to house the homeless.

"This means that the we'll have several thousand people to assist over the next few weeks and months," Miozzo told Sky Italia. "Our goal is to give shelter to all by tonight."

ANSA said the dome of a church in L'Aquila collapsed, while the city's cathedral also suffered damage.

The Israeli Embassy in Rome said that officials were trying to make contact with a few Israeli citizens believed to be in the region who had not been in touch with their families. Embassy spokeswoman Rachel Feinmesser did not give an exact number.

L'Aquila lies in a valley surrounded by the Apennine mountains. It is the regional capital of the Abruzzo region, with about 70,000 inhabitants.

The last major quake to hit central Italy was a 5.4-magnitude temblor that struck the south-central Molise region on Oct. 31, 2002, killing 28 people, including 27 children who died when their school collapsed.

msnbc.com

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30061140/

My deepest condolences for the victims of the earthquake No

oh my God Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
my condolences Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:25 pm

Terrible tragedy. L'Aquila is a beautiful place, I have been many times.

Prayers go out to the victims and their families, and to the ones who are still trapped there.

Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:27 pm

More than 100 dead and so many thousands losing their homes. A tragedy, as always when mother nature acts like this. A distaster for this beautiful area, and all my condolences to people hurt by this.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:33 pm

My thoughts are with all those effected by the disaster.
Back to top Go down
pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:13 pm

The heart of Italy has been hit, as even the hearts everywhere in the world.
Back to top Go down
Belgio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 785
Country and city : Italia
Laziale since : 2000
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:59 pm

We could feel it here. Terrible terrible things...
A Belgian radiostation even called me to testify. The only good thing about it...
Back to top Go down
BigMamaEagle
Honour member
Honour member

Number of posts : 236
Country and city : USA

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:42 pm

a terrible disaster. those poor people who lost everything.
Back to top Go down
Biancocelesti
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 341
Country and city : Sweden, Uppsala
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:36 pm

So sad to hear this, a terrible disaster.
Back to top Go down
Nesta_Jr
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 209
Country and city : Sweden, Stockholm

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:36 am

My thoughts go to all those involved in this tragic incident. Mother nature can be too cruel sometimes...
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:51 am

My deepest condolences to everyone and their families involved in this tragic disaster. Its very, very sad.
Back to top Go down
Roman_Eagle
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2234
Country and city : Bulgaria, Veliko Tarnovo

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:26 pm

It's sad... local newspapers here say that about 1000 bulgarians live in that area but no one is said to be missing or injured
Back to top Go down
Gæst

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:36 pm

I am really sad about the story... I have been told that it's a beautiful place and now many streets and homes has been destroyed..

My deepest condolences to all effected by this!
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:48 pm

Terrible tragedy. I was watching the news on this all yesterday afternoon. Just terrible...
Back to top Go down
Ed
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 688
Country and city : England, Cambridge
Registration date : 2008-07-23

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

We have been shown in recent days how fragile life on this planet can be. Life, the simple breathing and beating of a heart. Every life is important and when life is taken away so tragically it puts games like football into perspective. My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered in Italy.
Back to top Go down
Belgio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 785
Country and city : Italia

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Just felt another shock
Back to top Go down
lazio365
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 416
Country and city : England, Sussex
Laziale since : 1993
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:24 am

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has suffered.
Back to top Go down
Djokovic
Aquilotto
Aquilotto

Number of posts : 68
Country and city : Canada, Toronto
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:42 am

Seen it on news. The death has reached the number of 235 by now. Very tragic.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:45 am

This morning on the news here they say the death rate is over 200 and counting.

The earthquake hit the town of Fossa nearby. They interviewed an older woman (over 80), she was crying, shaking, couldn't believe it. It was so sad. Crying or Very sad

A man flew in from Israel recently and was also interviewed. He has a son and 2 nephews studying there. Both of his nephews are fine and well. The son is believed to be underneath one of the collapsed buildings. Its horrific. Crying or Very sad

Prayers go out to all affected.
Back to top Go down
Djokovic
Aquilotto
Aquilotto

Number of posts : 68
Country and city : Canada, Toronto
Registration date : 2008-08-02

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:42 am

I called my family and they said they could feel the earthquake in Croatia.
Back to top Go down
Mafalda
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 628
Country and city : Chile, Santiago

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:49 pm

Ive been looking, listening and reading the news ...
As citizens of a country with many earthquakes I can imagine how that was
What a disaster ... my condolences to the deaths families
All our laziale friends are ok??
Back to top Go down
anti-roma
Aquilotto
Aquilotto

Number of posts : 43
Country and city : Turkey-Istanbul
Laziale since : 2006
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:22 pm

Many homeless people are still avaible, hard life conditions and etc. We can only prey for them to get better. For dead people, R.I.P.

I have undergone an earthquake and it was horrible, people who were crying, desperate.... Even mentioning about this disaster makes me feel bad.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Fri Apr 10, 2009 4:13 pm

The state funeral for 205 people was today. Very moving and extremely sad to see so many coffins lined up beside each other.

R.I.P.

PostSubject: Re: Earthquake hits near Rome   Today at 7:31 pm

Back to top Go down

Earthquake hits near Rome
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1