AuthorMessage
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:35 am

Gonna miss the Italy - Brazil match, I'll be on the road...
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:29 am

YAY!!!!! cheers

History has been made as NZ got their first ever point in a FIFA tournament! jocolor

Glen Moss was a stand out in goal today, and in the other matches as well.... some incredible saves!
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:46 am

Bobbi wrote:
YAY!!!!! cheers

History has been made as NZ got their first ever point in a FIFA tournament! jocolor

Glen Moss was a stand out in goal today, and in the other matches as well.... some incredible saves!

A well-deserved draw which for me, sent the right two teams through to the next phase.

New Zealand can be proud of their performance in this tournament. Sure, Spain beat them comfortably but they put in 3 very spirited performances in the group.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:34 pm

Congrats to the USA for pulling off an incredible result and qualifying. Well deserved and I hope Treq and co. were watching or else they will be very confused for the next few days cheers

I'm now certain Cannavaro and Pirlo should go. The whole Italy side were abysmal but they are past it, for sure.

Where Italy go from here I don't know.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Caxi wrote:
Congrats to the USA for pulling off an incredible result and qualifying. Well deserved and I hope Treq and co. were watching or else they will be very confused for the next few days cheers

I'm now certain Cannavaro and Pirlo should go. The whole Italy side were abysmal but they are past it, for sure.

I think you mean Zambrotta and Canna. You can take with them Chiellini, Gatusso, Camoranasi, Toni, Pepe. And last but not least Dossena, a joke of a footballer.

Simple as. Lippi has to go, its unquestionable. With a new coach, a year to plan and some of the best youngers in world football, Italy can save them selves and win a World Cup.

We need to see the likes of Motta, Santon, Bochetti, Cristico, Santacrose, Foggia, Giovinco, Balotelli, Cassano & Pazzini.

Anyway. Pirlo should go? Pirlo has been Italy's best player here, along with Rossi. Yes with age he has declined since the world cup, but thats only to be expected. He still has the vision and the ability to change games. He is indispensible to the Italian team. A Key man.

The only part of the Pirlo argument i agree with is, his shooting ability from Free kicks, just doesnt look the same.

But my point is Pirlo is too good to drop and has so much left stil to offer.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:54 am

Caxi wrote:

Yes, congrats to the USA.
No way Italy can give up Pirlo, he is too good. I think the team's problem this tournament was clearly fatigue and obvoiusly some dodgy call ups from Lippi but I'm happy we are out now, it shows we need a shake up.

I think the key changes we need are to get Cassano and Pazzini involved upfront. Forget Toni and Iaquinta as starters, they are ok for the bench. The future has to be Cassano, Pazzini and Rossi.

De Rossi should f*ck off and be replaced by Aquilani, Dessena should never play for Italy again, I well prefer Grosso there until Santon can take over. Zambrotta was dead to the world this tournament but is still a key figure. Foggia has to be added, I'm not convinced by Montolivo yet, maybe Lippi's style isn't suiting him atm.

Keep Cannavaro (depending on his season with Juve-Ithink playing in Spain has ruined alot of his characteristics) with Cheillini and maybe add Santacroce. Get rid of Legrottaglie, Quagliarella and Pepe, they are useless. Add D'agostino, Gamberini and Brighi in their places. Hopefully some new names will crop up over the season but damn it we need to change so much!

This was not Italy!

Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:31 am

Wow. Can't understand how people are defending Pirlo.

I do get that there is reliance on him and that he to Italy is the Ledesma figure at Lazio but the Azzurri need to change in my opinion.

The problem with Pirlo, particularly these days is that when he is pressed he is rendered ineffective. Watching Italy - Ireland earlier in the year and seeing how easily we dealt with Pirlo made that obvious. We are not good enough to be in the world cup in my honest opinion. So if we can deal with him, anyone can. How he will cope against the skillful South American sides and the physical African sides I do not know. The reason why Pirlo was such a player was because he had the scurrier in Gattuso alongside him. He's lost his legs now so Pirlo is more susceptible. That's just how I see it.

I still think Zambrotta will dig the central defence out of holes. Cannavaro is gone; the fact Real sold him when their defence has been so poor says it all for me. I still have doubts about Chiellini and I'd be looking to Barzagli, Gamberini and maybe even Coda in that squad pronto.

The Azzurri will get outmuscled (Brazil 3rd goal showed that, Rossi collapsed in a heap from a shoulder-to-shoulder with Kaka) but they can still out-think other sides. But it won't work if the midfield can't keep the ball and orchestrate something and right now, they can't. Either Pirlo comes good again, they get Aquilani fit enough or they play Cassano. Otherwise, there is no creative spark.
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:16 am

The whole squad needs a shake up. The most annoying thing was that they didnt even push for a goal in the end, despite knowing that would put them through.

In my eyes, ONLY Buffon is good enoug in that starting line up to be there.
Pirlo is slower than ever, and in a world cup he will never stand a chance against hungry players that are up for it. Quite amazed that people are protecting his rights to be in the starting XI. Italy needs a new face to dictate the game, Pirlo is just not the Pirlo he used to be. I tend to agree that Gattuso is a significant difference Caxi, but I think there is more to it than that. Pirlo just isnt as good and creative as he used to be, at least not for the NT.

The attacking line is a joke, as well as the midfield. The only player that has been showing himslef this (crappy) tournament in Rossi, showing that the future for gli Azzuri is to be found in players that are hingry for success, that havent already won everything that is out there to be won.

Cannavaro? Give me a break. Chiellini is in my eyes a risk, he isnt a footballer good enough to compete in games against the best opposition in the world.

All in all, I hope this was a wake up call for Lippi. The U21 team plays a better football than these guys have this tournament. We can blame Fatigue, Confed being a low-rate tournament and so on, but Brazil, Egypt, USA, Spain, RSA and even NZ showed that football is as much about being hungry and having the right attitude (they are representing their countries ffs!!!) as it is about being a world class footballer.

Team USA showed a brilliant attitude today and made what everyone thought was impossible. A big cheers to them for giving it all and making it.

We are up for an interesting final between Spain and Brazil...
Back to top Go down
A Roma Solo La Lazio
Aquilotto
Aquilotto

Number of posts : 66
Country and city : Toronto, Canada

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:25 am

Italy didn't deserve to move on, they were lost as the announcer who I was listening to said " The Italian defense look like Deer in the Headlights". They've lost what confidence they had and have become too arrogant. Pirlo has become a player that is extremely ineffective he isn't able to shield the ball for defenders or keep his feet. The Italian midfield that was on display during this tournament did nothing to help the forwards they had in front. In my opinion Iaquinta is a totally useless forward on the national team. Toni is decent when balls are lead into him, at points during the brasil game Toni had to fetch the ball for himself and looked clumsy in the process. Dessena is useless, Quagliarella had a few good World Cup Qualifiers but failed to make an impact. Peppe is no good either just lacks skill and vision. Do we need to use the U21 I dont think so, they're far too inexperienced to play against the likes of Kaka or Robinho. The defense needs to be overhauled Cannavaro has turned into an old man in a matter of years, defending with such a sense of urgency unlike the previously displayed calmness. Can Lippi use Cassano, is a big "?", Cassano has been a problem much like Balotelli has been for Casiraghi, so its a risk that I don't believe Lippi will risk. Foggia, besides that he's Laziale, should have been brought as well Inzaghi would have been extremely usefull. His finishing ability and poaching play is unmatched. But Lippi's call ups were going to be questioned regardless I do believe they will bounce back and that this is a wake up call in terms of addressing these problems or risk losing the World Champions title.

I will not be applauding the U.S National Team because to be honest I don't believe the deserve it. They managed to beat Egypt and thats not much of an accomplishment because they're not as capable in terms of strength and conditioning as the american players. The Americans are not a qualified team to compete at the level of any south american or european squad for that matter. I know they managed to qualify for the next round but much of that can be attributed to the Italian loss. I would applaud the American team if they managed to escape the first round of the World Cup.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:52 am

I just happened to catch the second half, Caxi. What a surprise?! Like you guys, I simply applaud the attitude and drive of the squad. Gotta hope for the best against Spain.

A Roma Solo La Lazio, even though I'm biased, I can understand what you mean. No, the US is not a powerhouse team, in fact it's a team and country and culture that's still learning the game. But in these competitions, it's as much about heart, like Cash said, as it is about individual quality.
Back to top Go down
Broencoceleste
Forum Maister
Forum Maister

Number of posts : 1218
Country and city : Jakarta, Indonesia
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 am

C' mon, Italy had lost when they lost against Egypt, not when they faced Brazil. How many team in the world can beat an on form Brazil? maybe only Zidane's france...

For me, the Italians has lost their souls in defending, not in attacking, actually they never been a strongest attacking team in the world like their defending. Yesterday their attacking play was quite decent, but of course a player like Luca Toni should be played only against a slow and inferior team and not in a Brazil game.

Like lazio, the backline of Italy should be reformat and reconsidered.... Dossena is a joke defender, Chiellini is good but too overrrated these days and too much burden in his back, Cannavaro should enjoy his money in the world best beaches with beautiful models, he's too old to catch up with the young and speedy striker like robinho and his jump has definitely not as high as before, Zambrotta is still decent but like another old player, his reaction and vision are decreasing..

I always like when Grosso plays for Italy, I wonder why he wasn't playing yesterday...

at last but not least... Buffon should not be irreplaceable! he's a prone error lately... Juventus was going downhill in the same time as Buffon takeover the postline from Manninger...

Maybe he needs more time to recover himself physically and mentally....

Brazil first goal and Dossena's own goal could be avoided if Buffon was still on his best
Back to top Go down
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 1434
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:23 am

I've been following the giro azzurro since I was 5 and this is the saddest Italian team I've seen. Just the fact that these guys were our heroes 3 years ago, they're all knights of the Reppublica Italiana, and Lippi intends on dragging a champion team through the mud.

Lippi brought so much to Italian football as a whole and now he's gone and ruined it almost singlehandedly. OK, there is a real lack of defensive options and the next generation won't be ready until 2014 but its no excuse for the performances we've seen at this Cup.

For me 2010 is a write off, just making the quarters will be an achievement now. Lippi has proven himself too stubborn to admit his system doesn't work and so no doubt the 4-3-3 will stay and Luca Toni will be there.

When the likes of Salvatore Bocchetti, Davide Santon, Fabiano Santacroce, Robert Acquafresca and co. mature over the next 5 years, I'm confident we can mount a serious challenge towards the 2014 WC in Brazil.

Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Trequartista wrote:
I just happened to catch the second half, Caxi. What a surprise?! Like you guys, I simply applaud the attitude and drive of the squad. Gotta hope for the best against Spain.

A Roma Solo La Lazio, even though I'm biased, I can understand what you mean. No, the US is not a powerhouse team, in fact it's a team and country and culture that's still learning the game. But in these competitions, it's as much about heart, like Cash said, as it is about individual quality.

Still learning? You have been playing for over 100 years... Twisted Evil

Just joking, hope USA win it now.

Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 416
Country and city : England, Sussex
Laziale since : 1993
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:07 pm

Last night was pretty hard to swallow, but not unexpected. For me its a combination of poor squad selection and a ridiculous formation. 4-3-3 against the USA with Iaqunita down the wing was unbelieveable for words, they should revert to 4-4-2 and at least then the defence would not have been so haplessly exposed with Zambrotta, whos pace has gone, and Dossena, dreadful doesnt begin to describe him, providing offence down the wings.

Pirlo for me has to stay, for me he was the only one last night to provide any threat whatsoever, with Montolivo failing again to provide it against top quality opposition. But it would not have mattered even if the midfield had been fantastic because the forwards were terrible. Toni is simply abysmal, provides no attacking threat and cannot be in the squad next year. A lot of it comes back to the formation though I feel, having Iaquinta again out wide is just pointless, confirmend by Lippi as well when he took him off after 35 minutes.

What can be done, I think Pazzini, Cassano, Foggia, Motta, Santon must all come into the squad. Giovinco and Balotelli should be at least tried out at this level to see if they can cut it, and I think they both can comfortably. He should have used this tournament to try new/ up and coming players rather than ones that were past it or simply not good enough.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 pm

If I was in charge I'd try something like this:

Buffon

Zambrotta-----Chiellini-----Cannavaro/Barzagli-----Grosso/Santon

Pirlo

Aquilani/Blasi----------------------D'Agostino

Foggia/Giovinco--------------------------------------Cassano/Di Natale

Pazzini

We would have players like Gilardino, Iaquinta, Gattuso, Montolivo, Camoranesi on the bench. A good mix of youth and experience I think.

Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:34 pm

I'd play Cassano on the left, Foggia on the right and Pazzini up on his own.

Midifeld? Ideally, Marchisio, D'Agostino and Palombo.

Defence? Grosso/Santon, Cheillini, Barzagli/Gamberini/Coda, Zambrotta/Motta

I would alternate the full backs depending on the opposition.

It's not an impressive first team but as c.testa painfully admitted, Italy are very unlikely to get anywhere in the next World Cup. They should at least qualify and get through the groups with this side and then have a team for 2014.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:11 am

Don't forget Cigarini.
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 am

Amauri chose Italy over Brasil, so there's another option.

Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Look at USA go, what a nightmare reaction by Ramos

Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:30 pm

Spain played a bad game, USA didn't. I don't think you can read too much into it but certainly, it's a blot on the Spanish copy going into the WC.

I would expect Brazil to start as favourites for next year's WC after that. I'm beginning to envisage another Greece; there really is no stand out side.
Back to top Go down
pazke
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2192
Country and city : Belgio
Laziale since : 1989

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:34 pm

Spain tried to play it's game, but couldn't get any line in their attacks.
S Ramos was dramatic all over the place, and USA by determination deserves the final, Onyewu what a rock !

Spain will learn from this, to see that the game still have to be played, instead of thinking to the final with Brazil.
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:39 pm

Massively impressed by US, if only looking at this game. Well done to a team that maximized their possibilities by playing according to their capacity.
Back to top Go down
Jofo
Forum Maister
Forum Maister

Number of posts : 1712
Registration date : 2008-11-05

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:46 pm

I think Spain player thought more about the finale with Brazil then the game against USA. Very great teamwork shown by US and real sacrifice. 35 undefeated games by Spain end here and they haven't succeeded to beat Brazil record that is the same also.

Imo I think that Torres should leave the field first, he was literally a ghost.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 am

Wow. What a result! Well done USA! A well deserved win. Played great as a team and their motivation was unquestionable. Their defending impressed me, and Onyewu was a rock!
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:14 pm

...and I missed it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Today at 11:20 pm

Back to top Go down

FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next