AuthorMessage
Caput Mundi
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 1434
Country and city : South Australia
Laziale since : nascita
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:56 pm

its not the European Cup, its the World Cup. If Portugal finish behind Denmark and Hungary then they don't deserve to be there, no sympathy.

Australia's turn around didnt just come cause they joined Asia, they also got some new powerbrokers, some of the country's richest people got involved, new league was set up etc. Probably if all of Oceania was scrapped and joined Asia, it would make sense.

Shane Smeltz used to play for Adelaide City in the old NSL about 6 years ago. He's improved out of sight since then, never would've thought watching him as an 11-year old play in front of 2,000 people that he'd score about by beloved Azzurri one day but that's how it is.

but yea, NZ is a small nation and until they get their entire national team playing in European club football or they join Asia, can't see them being good. A nation with 1 pro side (which is going to be booted out of its comp) isn't going to stun anyone.

Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:48 pm

Brazil - USA Now Shortly...

Hopefully my prediction will be a little closer this time.... I think, Brazil 3-1 USA
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:24 pm

Embarassing from the US already.
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:44 pm

US is very weak at set pieces, which somehow surprises me as this is usually one way to make sure that a weaker team actually stands a chance against a superior opposition. Attacking, the set pieces can always produce danger, while the most important rule is to make sure the defence on set pieces is effectively taken care of...
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:56 pm

That's true. It's one way to ensure competance at the back. The US need to be more composed in possession right now, they're too much in a rush to get up field. Yes, you're down 2, but the more you rush, the more wayward passes.
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Hate the sound of the Vuvuzelas...

The big questions is if they will be around next year. The South Africans say that they wil never stop blowing the bloody horn - it is in their blood. Also Blatter has commented on them, saying it is something that the westernes have to adopt to;it is a fact that coming to Africa means more noise, energy, dancing etc etc.

At the same time, I am sure less (undortunately) locals will afford getting into the stadiums and that will result in less vuvuzelas (fortunately)l...
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:17 pm

So what if it's the part of African heritage, you didn't hear 30000 people in Austria and Switzerland yodeling
just imagine

Hopefully the fans of the respective nations playing will drown out that incessant noise. And when African teams play I'll just use the mute button, they'll probably all drop out in the group stages again no matter what that old fart Pele says

Last edited by Sile on Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:18 pm

I would've been surprised if they banned them. They're annoying... but that's all they are. Not much you can do if it's part of the culture.

Great tackle, Kljestan. Oh, and pulling Altidore, also brilliant. Remove our only attacking threat...
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:25 pm

Trequartista wrote:
I would've been surprised if they banned them. They're annoying... but that's all they are. Not much you can do if it's part of the culture.

Great tackle, Kljestan. Oh, and pulling Altidore, also brilliant. Remove our only attacking threat...

i read some place that FIFA already considered banning them, but the RSA FA made them understand that it an important part of South African football and that the have to be around to give the tournament a genuine feeling...

My concern regarding this matter is that large companies, such as McD, Coca Cola etc etc are planning (and have already started) manufacturing these "trumpets" cause they will be "in the hands of all supporters next year", as they out it...
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:29 pm

Cash wrote:
Hate the sound of the Vuvuzelas...

This one time at band camp....

Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:39 pm

Sile wrote:
So what if it's the part of African heritage, you didn't hear 30000 people in Austria and Switzerland yodeling
just imagine

Hopefully the fans of the respective nations playing will drown out that incessant noise. And when African teams play I'll just use the mute button, they'll probably all drop out in the group stages again no matter what that old fart Pele says

Wow..what show is that from? "Retards got talent"?
Back to top Go down
Taib
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 361
Country and city : UK
Laziale since : 1996
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:43 pm

Currently 3-0 to Brazil. The USA are down to ten men for the second match in row. They are such a dirty team. I for one will be glad they take no further part after the game against Egypt.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:57 pm

Dirty team? I know my bias, but I saw both tackles that were shown red and I'd say they could've been cautions. Are you just judging from these past two matches?

Last edited by Trequartista on Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Taib
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Trequartista wrote:
Dirty team? I know my bias, but I'd saw both tackles that were shown red and I'd say they could've been cautions. Are you just judging from these past two matches?

The first one was definate red. The second one was a red as well. Some referees would have given yellow I think.

Nope, I not judging from the past two matches.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:57 pm

So they were both definite reds that some referees would've given yellows? Doesn't that make them... not definite?
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 pm

1-0 Egypt.

Great Headed Goal from the corner.

Gatusso looks well off the pace
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:17 pm

No surprise in my eyes. If I were Italian coach, I'm not sure I would play the majority of this side. Gattuso, Cannavaro, Rossi, Zambrotta and maybe even Buffon and Pirlo would not be in the team for me.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Inspired football from the Egyptians, great stuff to watch. It'll be interesting to see what changes Lippi makes. Maybe Montolivo for Gattuso? Like you guys said, he hasn't done much of anything.
Back to top Go down
lazio365
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 416
Country and city : England, Sussex
Laziale since : 1993
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:27 pm

Gattuso was so far of the pace, makes me question Lippi really. 1 game at the end of the season against Fiorentina is not enough, no where near enough, to regain fitness. Why is Toni even in the squad, no contribution and the technique of a donkey. Iaqunita outworked him totally and deserved his chance at least. This really should be the tournament to try new ideas, i.e giving the likes of Foggia and Santon time at this level with some of the experienced players but I guess Lippi missed that part.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:46 pm

I can only assume Lippi is too emotionally attached to this lot. These are the guys who won him the World up really. There are very few additions and those that he has made (Rossi, Quagliarella, Pepe) I don't agree with.

For me, it's time to ditch Pirlo and Gattuso, give Palombo his chance, have Montolivo in the squad somewhere and get Cassano, Pazzini, Acquafresca, Motta and a few other in that side and give Italy a real chance at the World Cup.

What is funny though is Irish pundits are now saying we will beat Italy. Hmmm...put Foggia up against Paul McShane and try keeping the scoreline from entering double figures. It took them 6 minutes to score against us with 10 men as opposed to our 11. Yeah, I think Ireland start as favourites for that one... No
Back to top Go down
lazio365
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 416
Country and city : England, Sussex
Laziale since : 1993
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 am

Caxi wrote:
I can only assume Lippi is too emotionally attached to this lot. These are the guys who won him the World up really. There are very few additions and those that he has made (Rossi, Quagliarella, Pepe) I don't agree with.

For me, it's time to ditch Pirlo and Gattuso, give Palombo his chance, have Montolivo in the squad somewhere and get Cassano, Pazzini, Acquafresca, Motta and a few other in that side and give Italy a real chance at the World Cup.

What is funny though is Irish pundits are now saying we will beat Italy. Hmmm...put Foggia up against Paul McShane and try keeping the scoreline from entering double figures. It took them 6 minutes to score against us with 10 men as opposed to our 11. Yeah, I think Ireland start as favourites for that one... No

I guess it must be something like that. Your right, Gattuso can't have a starting shirt on current for. Pepe is technically weak and for me, although I admit I am biased, far inferior to Foggia. Pazzini should be at this tournament, lethal in the second half of the Serie A season and Cassano should be there, no question of that.

I have liked Montolivo's contributions and personally I would keep Pirlo in the side, but Lippi has to change now. The only positive out of a defeat like this is that it should force change.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:42 pm

Caxi wrote:

Yeah i agree, expecially with the Irish part, why we persist with playing McShane is beyond me, possibley one of the worst defenders ever to pull on the Green.

For me Pirlo has had a good tournament though, and is too good to drop. You could drop Cannavaro, Zambrotta, Gatusso & Camoranesi, but for me Pirlo has to Stay. He still has it, stil a class act who can create moments of magic.

Lippi needs to get Santon in for Zambrotta.

But when Italy has a fully fit squad, they can use the likes of Aquilani, Montolivio and Pirlo in the Centre, which is a quality lineout.

I would play 4-3-1-2 With a fully fit Italian Squad at the World Cup. Of course i would have all the youngesters ready to change the game on the bench as well as the other great players. The likes of Cannavaro, Cristico, Bochetti, Motta, D'Agostino, Foggia, Rossi, Toni, Quaglirella, Di Natale.

.......................Buffon

Grosso-Chielini-Santacrose-Santon

.........De Rossi-Pirlo-Aquilanni.........

...................Montolivio..................

...............Cassano
.............................Gilardino
Back to top Go down
Taib
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Caxi wrote:
No surprise in my eyes. If I were Italian coach, I'm not sure I would play the majority of this side. Gattuso, Cannavaro, Rossi, Zambrotta and maybe even Buffon and Pirlo would not be in the team for me.

Cannavaro was immense. He did the job of two defenders last night since Chiellini had a shocker.
Back to top Go down
Taib
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:57 pm

This performance has summed up the Lippi return. We have not played well under him in any match I can think of since Lippi replaced Donadoni.

We were lathargic in attack principly because it took our fullbacks too long to come and support our forward players. Egypt defended well but we made it too easy for them since we were so slow and then they organise themselves. There were too many long range shots as well. Signs that we were panicking. Lippi has got to drop Zambrotta. I know he is one of Lippis favourites but seriously he is no longer that player anymore and Santon should be played there instead. All the three forward players were not good. Iaquinta wasted too many chances and he should never play on his own again. Rossi was periphiral and Quagliarella is too fond of taking long range shots. There was no cohesion, not really suprising since the three have not played together before.

Lippi has got to play two strikers with a creative player behind them. Playing three up front is not working. I honestly can not see why he persists with it. The only good thing from this game is that hopefully Lippi will change. If not Italy will have an uphill task.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

If Italy get dumped out of the tournament it will be the best thing possible for them. We need to overhaul half the squad. Imagine if we beat Brazil and even get to the fianl then Lippi will praise the World Cup spirit again and we will be back to square 1 for the next World Cup.

The players I see as indespensible are Buffon, Cannavaro, Cheillini, Pirlo, Iaquinta and Gilardino. The rest have to earn their status as Azzurri.

We desperatley need to introduce Cassano, Pazzini, Foggia, Santon, D'Agostino, even Del Piero (purely based on form) for goodness sake. The likes of Quagliarella and Pepe are not cut out for the national team. Rossi has been the only revelation of this team. De Rossi should get over himself and take some notes from Aquilani who is 10 times better, what Lippi sees in him I don't know! Dessena, Palombo....please!

Sometimes I think Lippi slipped into a coma when Italy won the World Cup and woke up 3 years later thinking only a week had passed.......

PostSubject: Re: FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009   Today at 5:11 pm

Back to top Go down

FIFA Confederations Cup - South Africa 2009
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next