Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Okay this will seem a bit strange, but anyway here goes:

I have a UK o2 mobile sim card, my mate who also has the same, was in France, and my text messages remained free to them, despite the fact they were over-sea's, but still we both had the same UK mobile network.

That leads me on to my other point.

Im 15 miles or so from the south of Ireland (Eire), but dont get any Eire signal on my phone, but i have ordered a southern SIM Card, i just want to know if anybody could shed light on this, would it be possible for me to be able to text to southern number's from a southern number/sim card, even though i would be in the north, and recieve the same rates of charge as the south would have when texting the south?

Or is this not really possible?

Very very confusing i know, but if anyone understands, could they please try and help me.

Cheers! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:44 pm

No problemo.

If you have a southern phone, with a southern sim and you are texting another southern phone, it should not matter where you are or where the receiver is geographically, you should be charged southern rates. Texting a northern phone with a southern phone and network will be relatively cheap also.

The only time you will get charged roaming rates (39c or so) is when you are on a northern signal with your southern sim. You will get charged a fortune if you answer a southern phonecall while on a northern network. And I mean a fortune...

You can get special roaming packages which you will need if you can't get a southern signal. I don't know what these are for O2.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:51 pm

Cheers! Very Happy

Its just, at the moment, text messages i send to the south cost me 20p per sms, so i figured that although i have a northern pay as you go phone, if i ordered a southern sim card, i might get the same rate's as a southerner would to another southerner.

But as you pointed out, i would although have an Irish SIM, would almost certainly still get a Northern Signal, which could be the problem.

Im loooking all over the net, to see if there is any cheap international Traiff, but so far not so much luck.

20P aint that bad, but id be sending a lot of texts, so it would rob me.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:04 pm

At least with a southern sim you would have free webtexts to other southern mobiles but yes, northern signal will cripple you and it will probably be impossible to find a cheap way around that.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:10 pm

The cheapest solution i could get, is an o2 Tariff, that with 10 per month on it, i get 10p international txt's, might have to make do with that one.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:50 pm

Sounds like a decent deal. Be careful with roaming charges for phonecalls though. In all seriousness, I've been charged for 4-5 euro for answering 30 second calls from a southern phone when i'm on a northern signal.

I have a similar problem to you. I live in the south but I struggle to get southern signal when I'm at home in the summer. So, I can't answer phonecalls and can only respond to texts if i send it by a window. It's a hassle, but you have to make do.

I can't get any of these packages because I was told they bump up the price of normal south to south texts.
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:11 pm

Yeah its pretty good and comes with 50 free minutes of International calls.

Its a shame that i have to resort to something like this when in reality im only texting like to 20-30 miles away, in contrast i can get free calls and texts to someone in England & Scotland.

Awh well, what can i do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 02 Uk/Eire Sim card?   Today at 12:42 am

Back to top Go down

02 Uk/Eire Sim card?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1