Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2665
Country and city : Glasgow, Scozia
Laziale since : 1990
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 am

There's no doubt that Arsenal were the better team but let's face it, it took 2 flukes at Parkhead and a blatant dive which can be judged as nothing less than cheating to kill off the tie. It wasn't needed. Celtic fans aren't upset at losing, it's the manner of the defeat, the fact they always had to chase each match because of incredible bad luck.

I hope Eduardo is severly punished. There was no need for it in the game. I'm not even a massive Celtic fan but this got me mad!

LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

Number of posts : 2737
Country and city : Croatia,Zagreb
Laziale since : '96
Registration date : 2008-05-24

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:56 am

He can not be punished. If they awarded punishment for diving then not even Totti's grandchildren would be allowed on the pitch for the amount of suspension he'd receive.

Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

Number of posts : 3884
Country and city : Ireland
Laziale since : 1995

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:08 am

I don't see all the fuss really. If Artur Boruc was running at me, I'd dive out of the way Twisted Evil

It definitely looks like a blatant dive, it's just I'm with Sile; that's completely out of character for Eduardo.

Maybe it's sympathy on my part, but considering what happened his leg, I don't think he was ever going to let Boruc take him down. Seriously, If I was Eduardo and considering all he's had in the past, I would dictate my own fall as well thank you very much.

Now I'm with Gio in that Arsenal went through via flukes and potentially foul play but to be honest, an on fire Arsenal could have hit double figures on aggregate and I don't think Celtic can have too many complaints about the actual result. It could have been a lot worse and the worst thing Celtic can do for the future is blame going out on luck or foul play. They were otuclassed completely; home and away and that comes from someone who is partial to the Hoops! bounce
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:48 am

That's fair enough if you dive out the way of an onrushing goalkeeper, but to then snigger at the fans and the camera....please! He was even protesting to the ref after the celebrations at the treatment he got from the Celtic players!

Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2371
Country and city : Auckland NZ
Laziale since : 1999
Registration date : 2008-06-21

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:17 pm

I like Eduardo and its sad to see that happen, but I personally think he had no intention of diving away from Boruc to prevent himself from injury. He milked the situation for all its worth. At most Boruc brushed him with the merest of contact. He didn't at all look like he was sincerely moving out of the way. To me its a plain and simple dive. He got lucky the referee didn't give him a yellow card instead of a penalty kick.

I agree with Gio..... the sniggering towards the Celtic fans and cameras was uncalled for and very unsportsmanlike. Its hard to believe a humble and classy person as himself would do that.

All that aside, Arsenal were the better team throughout the two legs and deserve their place in the UCL group stages - even though the 5-1 scoreline is harsh towards Celtic.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:42 am

Congratulations to Barcelona for winning the European Super Cup! cheers

Hope it continues this season!

Vamos Barca!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:12 am

Not a vintage Barca performance but great effort and desire; too much passion on Messi's part and lucky to be still on the pitch after his attempted headbutt.

Nevertheless, they are contenders for the Champions League once again but it's nights like tonight where I really feel they need Iniesta.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:21 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/europe/8223917.stm

Am I the only one who still thinks investigating Eduardo is a joke?

This is a guy whose career was almost destroyed because it looks like some guy tried to deliberately injure him. Nothing happened. Eduardo goes down in the box, has no real diving reputation, actually has an excuse for why he might have went down and UEFA want to investigate him???

I'm with Wenger completely on this; Celtic and the media created this situation. Anybody who watched the Supercup tonight would have seen 3 clear diving incidents; clearer than Eduardo's but nothing will be done about it because a penalty was not awarded.

I really think this is a step too far.
Back to top Go down
Bobbi
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 am

Definitely not a vintage Barcelona performance but the effort and commitment was enormous so its nice to see them win the match, and the trophy.

I agree with you Caxi in that the Eduardo situation has been blown out of proportion. He's not the first player to dive and get a penalty for it. I have nothing against him or Arsenal, just the way he cheated himself to a penalty.

But his dive was so blatantly obvious its hard to believe Wenger is defending him and saying he dived to protect himself. I'm sorry but that's a joke for me.

Boruc didn't even touch him. If you dive to prevent yourself from injury, that's understandable - but then man up and tell the ref you dived for safety reasons so its not a penalty - had he done that I bet you right now he would be getting praised and everyone would be saying what a classy player he is (I know it sounds ridiculous and I agree it rarely happens in any sport today tongue but in a perfect world that's how it should be - and to top it off, Arsenal were comfortably controlling the match and the overall tie). But Eduardo did no such thing. In fact he dramatised the entire situation (reminds me a bit of Tottina's, Ronaldo's and Robben's antics), milked it for all its worth, sniggered at the Celtic fans, and got a penalty. Not a very sportsmen like gesture.

Even my friend who's been an Arsenal supporter for nearly his whole life agrees with me, and says hes "disgusted and disappointed" with Eduardo's actions.

As I said before - I have nothing against Eduardo or Arsenal but I would be 'for' a ban (nothing serious - just 1-2 games) to get the message out so hopefully others start realising this part of the game is ruining football and needs to be stopped and made non-existent. Steps need to be taken to prevent such behaviour and if UEFA do give him a ban, it will be harsh on both Eduardo and Arsenal - but it needs to start somewhere and the sooner it starts, the better (at least in my opinion).
Back to top Go down
Ivan
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 256
Country and city : Croatia, Zagreb
Laziale since : 2001

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:10 pm

I'm not an Arsenal fan and I don't like the fact that players sometime dive but come on! This has gone too far.

It's understandable that Celtic are disappointed to be out of the CL but in both legs they were the inferior team. Now they are focusing only on Eduardo's "dive".
Footballers have not been punished for this so far and Wenger, for whom I have the utmost respect for, is right when he makes one crucial statement:

"But now the existing rules of football have been changed just for one case so we will from now on challenge every single decision that is made in Europe by the referees."

I agree with Wenger's claim where he says that this is a presedan and that, if Eduardo gets a ban, from now on every footballer that dives and the referee awards a penalty, the footballer in question should be charged. Soon enough UEFA will be getting dozens of complaints by clubs who feel that the referee has made a mistake in this or that game.
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:39 pm

Well if Eduardo jumped out the way to save himself an injury why didn't he tell the ref that?? Honesty is a rare thing in football and at the end of the day he knows he wasn't fouled but still took the penalty, sniggered at the Celtic fans and the camera so yes, I think he should be investigated.

Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:39 pm

I'm with Ivan. Last night, there was two unpunished, blatant dives from Ibrahimovic and Luis Adriano and then a dive from Pedro Rodriguez that he did get booked for. There will be no investigation into any of those incidents because they didn't change the context of the game.

The irony is, Eduardo's dive didn't change the contact of the Celtic game much anyway so why are UEFA investigating it? I can't really comment on the sniggering or rubbing it in; never saw that on my TV pictures, all I saw was Eduardo getting pelted with missiles scratch

I hate Arsenal at the best of times, I have a lot of sympathy for Eduardo and I'm not foolish enough to deny that it wasn't a blatant dive but UEFA are certainly kicking off these investigations with the wrong guy.

It doesn't just tarnish Arsenal's reputation; it tarnishes Celtic's too. The should have just let it go, let bygones be bygones and move on. Now, as a result of their complaints, they're in the middle of a furore.

We don't need this in the sport. We don't want diving in the sport either but surely booking players a bit more oftem would be the wisest measures to take? You can't dish out harsher punishment to divers just because they managed to 'cheat' the referee...
Back to top Go down
Cash
Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:59 pm

This is a fucking joke. Celtic are the worse losers ever. Think they are a mighty team, but not even the best in Glasgow...they were not even close to having a chance against Arsenal...
Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:48 pm

Cash wrote:
This is a fucking joke. Celtic are the worse losers ever. Think they are a mighty team, but not even the best in Glasgow...they were not even close to having a chance against Arsenal...

Not even the best in Glasgow?

Haha
Back to top Go down
Giolazio
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:40 pm

Cash wrote:

Cash....what makes you think that any of this has come from Celtic? Celtic never put in a complaint. This has come from UEFA and UEFA alone. I'm going to ignore the best team in Glasgow comment considering that Celtic have won 6 of the last 9 titles...

Lazio Eagle
Lazio Eagle

Number of posts : 2163
Country and city : Sthlm Sweden
Registration date : 2008-07-15

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:46 pm

I read that Celtic had filed for this complaint, if that is not true I appologize for that comment.

However, I still feel that Celtic has taken a step back last season, and this summer, and I am pretty confident that Rangers are the stronger side atm...
Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Look at what Ronaldinho tried to pull in the 14th minute.

It will give you a new perspective on the Eduardo case.

Back to top Go down
Sile
LFever Team Member
LFever Team Member

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:58 pm

And finally, looks like Eduardo's ban is gonna get lifted, the apeal looks to have gone through.

Back to top Go down
Bridge-Bhoy
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 931
Country and city : Northern Ireland
Laziale since : 2002
Registration date : 2008-08-29

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:04 pm

Sile wrote:
And finally, looks like Eduardo's ban is gonna get lifted, the apeal looks to have gone through.

Disgusting on UEFA's behalf.

Shows such weekness on there behalf that every appeal (Even the most lauaghable ones ala Eduardo) always work.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:08 pm

Bridge-Bhoy wrote:
Sile wrote:

Disgusting on UEFA's behalf.

Shows such weekness on there behalf that every appeal (Even the most lauaghable ones ala Eduardo) always work.

Idiocy that he was given the ban in the first place in my opinion. Can't work out what's more idiotic; giving him a ban and then lifting it or banning him in the first place.

I could give examples of 100 worse dives within a few hours of thinking. I'm not going to but I think we could all manage that. So why Eduardo was made out to be the guinea pig for UEFA's latest experiment, I'll never know. Anyway, it failed.

I presume Arsenal would be able to prove that he dived to avoid injury or that UEFA were unable to prove the contrary.

Saga over.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:56 am

I don't find it relevant how many other dives you can think of or to what extent they might be worse. If there's anything to be done about this trap, it has to start somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:04 am

But it will never be stamped out. Eduardo could have easily have said "my studs got caught in the ground and I dived to save injury" bla bla bla and who can prove otherwise?

Unfortunately, they didn't nip diving in the bud early enough and now we have to suffer the consequences.
Back to top Go down
Trequartista
Curva Nord
Curva Nord

Number of posts : 586
Country and city : Los Angeles
Laziale since : 1998
Registration date : 2008-05-22

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:00 am

I don't know, I think that's a bit of a give-up. Depending on the specifics, I'd support something that would make players think about how easily their going down. As for Eduardo having an excuse, sure, but every player has an excuse why they got fouled or why they didn't foul someone. That doesn't mean we should let the players go if they argue well enough on every foul.

Wouldn't you like you hear a player say, "Now I feel like I have to stay up on the field." Novel idea, to stay on your feet unless you absolutely cannot.
Back to top Go down
Caxi
Son of Maestrelli
Son of Maestrelli

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:49 pm

I completely agree with that, but I think the players and especially the managers have to take responsibility instead of UEFA.

I'm sure Wenger could easily have told Eduardo to explain his actions publicly and while it might not have been popular, people would give him a second chance. Instead, UEFA foolishly waded in, in my opinion and issued a ban when perhaps they should have told Arsenal to make sure Eduardo issued a public explanation.

I'm thinking of F1 as the perfect example. Put an actual diving body together, have a panel of judges if they need to and then tell the team what to do and remind them of their responsibility. That is, perhaps, the only way.
Back to top Go down
Namortsac
Curva Maestrelli
Curva Maestrelli

Number of posts : 144
Country and city : Sweden/Lund
Registration date : 2008-07-19

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:56 pm

Forza Inter and I think they will win it. Will be interesting to see how Zlatan will be welcomed to San Siro by the crowd and Inter players. Would be interesting to see what happens if he score a goal...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2009/10 UEFA Champions League   Today at 6:41 pm

Back to top Go down

2009/10 UEFA Champions League
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11 ... 17  Next